Recipe Exploration: Spicy Black Bean Burgers
Name: Spicy Black Bean Burgers
By: Renee Valentine
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 10 min
- 1 can (16 Oz. Size) Black Beans
- ½ whole Onion, Cut Into Wedges
- 3 cloves Garlic, Peeled And Rough Chopped
- 1 whole Red Pepper, Stem And Seeds Removed, Chopped
- 1 whole Egg
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha Hot Sauce (or Your Favorite Hot Sauce)
- ½ cups Finely Chopped Cilantro
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 4 whole Burger Buns Or Kaiser Rolls
- Drain the can of black beans. In a mixing bowl, mash the black beans with a fork or a potato masher.
- Use a food processor to chop the onion, garlic, and red pepper until very fine. Stir the mixture in with the beans.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the egg, cumin, onion powder, chili powder, Sriracha and cilantro. Add this to the bean mixture and combine well.
- If the mixture has a lot of liquid, strain with a cheesecloth or let it strain through a colander with very fine holes. Once the excess liquid has drained off, return the bean mixture to the bowl and stir in half of the bread crumbs.
- Use your hands to form four evenly sized patties. Coat the outside of the burger patties in the remaining bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Cook burgers in the pan until heated through and slightly browned on both sides.
- Put the burger on top of a bun. Dress with all your favorite burger condiments and enjoy!