By: Breezermom (food.com) modified by J. Valentine
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 4-6 hours
Sat. Fat: 2.7
- 25 ounces of Chicken Breast (2 12.5 oz cans of chicken for ease)
- 1 (10 ¾) can of low fat cream of mushroom
- 1 (10 ¾) can of low fat cream of chicken
- 2 (10 ¾) soup cans of water
- 4 teaspoons of all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of chicken bouillon granules
- 1 ½ Cups of Frozen Peas and Carrots
- 1 Cup of Onion
- 10 Pillsbury Grand Biscuits (low fat version)
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of Oregano
- Mix all ingredients except biscuits in the Crockpot.
- Cut biscuits into quarters and gently stir in mixture.
- Cover; cook on low 4 to 6 hours.
- If you wish for it to be thicker at the end of the cooking process, take the lid off the and let it cook uncovered for 10-30 minutes to your thickness preference.
- For more awesomeness, add a nice side of mashed potatoes. Comfort like Grandma used to make!
I love casseroles. No. I don’t think you understand. I looooooooooove casseroles. I love them so much I would marry them if it was legal. I’m lobbying for it so fingers crossed.
But the main problem with casseroles and my weight loss plan is that a normal casserole’s calorie content would equal two meals for me so I’ve been avoiding them with sadness.
It took me six months to realize, I should Google healthy casseroles. What is wrong with me! So I went on a quest. It took one minute. Success! \
I modified the original recipe a bit as you can do with this. Casseroles are very forgiving in substitution which makes them wonderful yet again. I listed the recipe exactly as I prepared. Feel free to be creative. Let me know your favorite modifications!
Chicken Veggie Casserole
Minutes to Prepare: 15
Minutes to cook: 20 (15 if you break it up into separate containers)
Number of Servings: 6
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2 tablespoon margarine
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon dry parmesan cheese
- 7 oz whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 tablespooon oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic (2 cloves of garlic if you use fresh)
- 4 1/2 ounce can of mushrooms
- 12 oz good quality canned chicken (Canned works great for casseroles, I’ve found. If you use fresh, chop it.)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Tony’s Chachere’s Spicy seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)*
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)*
- whipped cream cheese**
- 3 slices pepperjack cheese *
- 3 stalks green onions chopped
- nonstick cooking spray
*If you aren’t a fan of spicy things, omit or lower the amount of cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes and replace the pepperjack with a different kind of cheese. Also because I used three small containers, you might need more pepperjack cheese to cover the top.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start preparing the sauce by melting the margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the butter foams up (it won’t take long), add the flower. Stir immediately and continuously for 1 minute.
- Add milk and parmesan cheese and continue to stir until it starts to bubble.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring intermittently.
- While the sauce is simmering, prepare the pasta according to package directions. Add a handful of salt and a tablespoon of oil to the water. Drain.
- In a large saucepan, add a tablespoon of oil and heat to medium heat.
- Add in garlic and onions and saute for 1 minute.
- Add in peppers and saute for another minute.
- Add in canned mushrooms and canned chicken. Stir until mixture is heated up.
- Turn down to low heat.
- Add pepper, italian seasoning, Tony’s seasoning, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes to white sauce while stirring continuously.
- If the mixture is too thin, use whipped cream to thicken it. I ended up using 1 tablespoon 1/3 less fat Italian seasoned whipped cream cheese.
- When all spices are incorporated, pour sauce into chicken mixture stir well.
- Add in pasta until all pasta is covered.
- Spray a 9 x 13 oven proof casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray (I used three small crocks.) Pour pasta into dish.
- Bake for 20 min (lower time for smaller containers), adding the cheese during the last few minutes until melted.
- Add green onion on top of cheese
Name: Mexican Chicken Casserole
By: Renee Valentine
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 30 min
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Mexican Blend cheese
- 4 oz can of chopped green chiles
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 15 oz can of black beans
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 8 ounces boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and diced
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute mushrooms until soft.
- Combine mushrooms, sour cream, 1 cup of cheese, green chiles, taco seasoning, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, black beans, salsa, rice, and chicken. Place in a greased 9X13 casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of casserole and bake until melted.
By:Renee (from kevinandamanda.com)
Prep Time: 10
Cook Time: 10
Servings: 8 (half a quesadilla is a serving)
- 4 medium-sized flour tortilla shells
- 1 lb chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup scallions, diced
- 8 strips of bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 1 avocado, diced
- 3 cups mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp butter
- Arrange bacon on a cooling rack (like for cookies) and set it on top of sheet pan. If you don’t have a cooling rack, you can just put the bacon straight on the sheet pan. Or in a 9×13 baking dish. Either way will work. Place bacon in a cold oven, turn heat to 400, and cook 15 mins per side.
- Add 1/2 tbsp bacon drippings to a skillet over medium heat. Add the scallions and saute about 2-3 mins until softened. Add the chicken in a single layer, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 5 mins or until chicken is golden and cooked through, flipping just once during cooking. Remove the chicken and scallions to a plate and rinse out the skillet.
- Add about 1/2 tbsp butter to the skillet over medium heat. When foamy, add a tortilla and swirl it around to get it nice and buttery. Layer one side of the tortilla with chicken, bacon, avocado, and a little cheese. Use tongs to flip the other half of the tortilla over and press down. Cook the tortilla for about 1-2 mins on each side or until golden brown and crispy.
- Repeat with the rest of the tortillas, adding a little more butter for each tortilla as needed. Eat & enjoy!
- I used the bacon pieces used for salads and made them crispy in the microwave. Was a lot easier. But if you don’t have extra bacon grease handy, it’s good to make the bacon yourself.
By: Renee (modified from All Recipes.com)
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
- 12 ounces linguine pasta
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 fresh baby bella mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 4 stalks of green onion, minced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add linguini pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, place chicken and Cajun seasoning in a bowl, and toss to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute chicken in butter until no longer pink and juices run clear, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add green and red bell peppers, sliced mushrooms and green onions; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat, and stir in heavy cream. Season the sauce with basil, lemon pepper, salt, garlic powder and ground black pepper, and heat through. Add more Cajun Seasoning if desired.
- In a large bowl, toss linguini with sauce. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. If sauce is too thin, let the bowl sit until sauce thickens.
- Can also use rotisserie chicken cut up into pieces. That works out well!
- If sauce is consistently too thin even after sitting, you can add 1 teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with or water to thicken.
By: ReneePrep Time: 10 – 30 min (depending on type of rice)
Bake Time: 25 min
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 cups of uncooked long grain rice (can use instant)
- 2 tablespoons of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- ½ of an onion, chopped
- 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 4 oz can of green chiles (use less if desired)
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- ½ cup of mexican blend cheese
- Lettuce, Guacamole, and Sour Cream to top
- Saute uncooked rice, garlic, cumin, and onion in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add tomato sauce and green chiles. Simmer for 20 minutes if using non instant rice. If using instant rice, simmer until liquid is mostly absorbed. (use less green chiles if desired)
- Place rice mixture into a 8X11 baking dish. Season both sides of the chicken with taco seasoning and pepper and place chicken on top of rice.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes (or until internal temperature of chicken is 165 degrees)
- Sprinkle 4 oz of mexican blend cheese and bake until melted, about two to three minutes.
- Serve chicken lettuce, guacamole and sour cream, topped or on the side.
The @Valentine Podcast Show Notes
Coming to you, from Louisville, KY! It’s the @Valentine Podcast with your non-resolution making couple, J and Renee Valentine.Intro Music -
Who Loves Me by Pretty Lights – http://www.prettylightsmusic.com/#/homeToday is Monday, January 2, 2012 and this is Episode 42!
- Happy New Year (I’m old)
- Star Wars Weekend
- Started to snow :(
Tech (Gadgets, Computers, etc.)
- Need more memory
- Set up Roku for Mr. Crocker
Media (Movies, Games, Books, Television Shows, Music)
- Movies By Chance: Result: 107 – The Color Of Freedom; 184 – GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra
- Movie for Next Week: 75 – Hot Tub Time Machine; 125 – Midnight Cowboy
- Panic Room
- Introduced Danielle and D to The Walking Dead
- Mass Effect 2
- Portal 2
Food – Music (Symphony No. 2 in D Major, Op. 36: II. Larghetto by London Philharmonic Orchestra & Alfred Scholz)
- Try This: Mamee Noodles brought to you by Paul Fox
- Dunkin’ Donuts Coffee
- Airpopped Popcorn: Round 2
- Bacon and Feta Stuffed Chicken with Bacon and Onion Mashed Potatoes
- Famous Dave’s
- New Year’s Dinner
Odds and Ends
- Welcome Home Strumpet!
- Florida Bound This Weekend
- Well Wishes to Brian Dunaway
- We now know where Jeff lives.
You can reach us by email at email@example.com. You can also see our blog at atvalentine.com. The podcast Twitter feed is atvalentineblog. J’s Twitter feed is theCaoboi and Renee’s twitter feed is theIceflow
Outro Music: I Gave You My Love by Pretty Lights
By: Renee from All Recipes
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 35 min
- 3/4 pound bacon slices
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 tablespoon dried oregano or italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 (4 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed or 2 packages of instant mashed potatoes.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until crispyt. Reserve the bacon grease in the skillet, and cool the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Once cool, crumble the bacon into 2 inch pieces and mix together with the feta cheese, 3 tablespoons of sour cream, oregano, and black pepper in a small bowl; set aside.
- Lay a chicken breast flat onto your work surface. Use the tip of a sharp boning or paring knife to cut a 2-inch pocket in the chicken breast. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts. Spoon the bacon mixture into the pockets. Pour the flour, egg, and bread crumbs into separate, shallow dishes. Gently press the chicken breasts into the flour to coat. Dip each into the beaten egg, then press into bread crumbs.
- Reheat the bacon grease over medium heat. Brown the chicken breasts on both sides in the hot fat, about 2 minutes per side. Reserve the bacon grease in the pan. Place the breasts on a baking dish, and bake in the preheated oven until the chicken is no longer pink and the filling is hot, 20 to 25 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Meanwhile, If using whole potatoes, place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- While the potatoes are boiling, cook the onion in the remaining bacon grease over medium heat until very tender and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Once the potatoes are done, mash together with the onion, butter, and remaining 3 tablespoons of sour cream. Serve the chicken breasts accompanied by the mashed potatoes.
By: J (via Buzz Recipe Swap)
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 6-8 hours on low, 3-4 hours on high
• 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
• 1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
• 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 cups water
• 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
• 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
• 7 corn tortillas (optional)
• Vegetable oil (optional)
- Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker.
- Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro.
- (Can skip the following steps if using premade strips or tortilla chips)
- Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup.
You can sub out the tortilla strips for regular tortilla chips.