Recipe Exploration: Lasagna Cups
I was intrigued when I found a recipe for Lasagna Cupcakes. People were confused by the name so I just changed it to Lasagna Cups. The first batch I made had three layers and that way too much. The second batch had two layers was perfect so that’s what I recommend. These are so good and perfect for individual lunches and freezing for later.
- Cooking Spray
- 1 lb lean hamburger meat (can substitute ground turkey if desired)
- 18 wonton wrappers
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese , grated
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese , grated
- 2/3 cup part skim milk ricotta cheese
- One cup of your favorite pasta sauce
- Italian Seasoning
- Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray 9 cups of a 12 serving muffin tin with the cooking spray
- Cook hamburger meat, season to taste, drain
- Reserve 8 tablespoons of Parmesan and 8 tablespoons of mozzarella—this will be the topping. The remaining cheese will be used in the lasagnas (note you can vary the amount of cheese to taste keeping in mind that the parmesan is salty, the mozzarella is sweet as well as salty and helps to hold the lasagnas together, and the ricotta is sweet and creamy).
- Start assembling the lasagnas. Line each cupcake mold with a round wonton wrapper. Put a little Parmesan, a little mozzarella, and a little ricotta into each mold. Add a sprinkle of Italian seasoning and black pepper. Top with a little meat and a spoonful of sauce. Repeat layers of wonton wrappers, cheeses, spices, meat and sauce, creating 2 layers in all, and ending with sauce. Sprinkle each lasagna with reserved Parmesan and mozzarella.
- Bake until the lasagnas are nicely browned, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edges and remove from pan.